The Toppy Black and White competition and awards
Slightly later than we originally planned, it’s time for our Black and White competition and awards, to help celebrate two years of the Topfield TF5800 in the UK.
Win a TF5800 Black Panther
Thanks to Turbosat, Topfield’s UK distributor, we have a black 250GB TF5800 to give away in this competition. The Black Panther is also sold in branches of John Lewis, and to win, you need to tell us the correct answer to the question further down the page.
Spread a little happiness
Good as the TF5800 is, there’s little doubt that it can be made even better, thanks to the hard work of many of the people who have written TAPs and other add-ons. And to celebrate their work, we’re going to make an award of a Polar White 250Gb TF5800, to one of the UK forum members who, in your view, has done the most for other users in the UK.
So, when you enter the competition, we’ll be asking you to nominate someone that you think has done a great deal for Toppy users. The people with the highest number of nominations will be put to a public vote, early in May, and the person who wins the most votes will receive the award, provided that they’re resident in the UK – unfortunately, we can’t send the prize to people outside the country.
Who to nominate?
There’s a long list of people that we can think of – but we’ll leave it up to you. What do you think has been the most useful thing? Is it a great TAP that you use every day? A piece of software for your computer? Perhaps it’s a guide that explains how to do something, or someone who’s always helpful to new users on the forum. Or it might be a diligent coder whose work has helped track down bugs in the firmware. You can nominate people for any reason you like, and you don’t have to tell us, but it would be great if you do.
How to enter
We have a simple question about the John Lewis stores that sell the TF5800. Is it owned by a) John Spedan Lewis, b) The staff or c) A consortium of investment banks. You need to answer a, b or c.
After your answer, you can add the forum name of a person that you want to nominate for the award, and – if you like – a reason for the nomination.
Your entry can be sent on a postcard to “Toppy Black and White competition”, PO Box 7248, London E5 8UL. You can also enter by text message from a mobile phone, or using PayPal; both these entries will cost £1.50, and the monies raised will go towards the costs of running Toppy.org.uk.
To send an entry by text, ensure you have the permission of the person who pays the bill, and send a message to 60300 beginning with TOPPY BW followed by your answer, and optionally the person you want to nominate, and why. For example, if you thought the answer to the competition was X, and you wanted to nominate nwhitfield, you could text
TOPPY BW X nwhitfield for running the forums
to 60300. Sending the message will cost your usual text message fee, and you will recieve an automated acknowledgement message, which will cost you £1.50. If you don’t want to enter the competition, simply omit the answer, and your entry will be considered a nomination only.
To enter by PayPal, simply fill in the form below and click the button.
Competition and nominations are now closed.
The competition rules
1. The competition closes at midnight UK time on Saturday 28th April 2007. Postal entries that have not arrived by the following morning will be discarded, as will text messages or PayPal payments that arrive after midnight.
2. You may enter as many times as you wish; if entering by text message or PayPal, you will be charged £1.50 for each entry.
3. Employees of Turbosat and their families are not eligible to enter.
4. For text message entries, we will attempt to contact the winner by texting back to the number that was used to enter the competition.
5. For postal entries, you must supply a contact phone number or email address.
6. For PayPal entries, we will attempt to contact you via the email address on your PayPal transaction.
6. If we are unable to contact the winner within 48 hours, we reserve the right to pick an alternative winner.
7. Your details will not be used for any purposes other than the adminstration of the competition.
The nomination rules
1. The nominations close at midnight UK time on Saturday 28th April 2007. Postal entries that have not arrived by the following morning will be discarded, as will text messages or PayPal submissions that arrive after midnight.
2. You may submit as many nominations as you wish, for as many people as you wish, but each person you nominate will be counted only once.
3. Should more than ten people be nominated, the final poll will include only the ten eligible people with the highest number of nominations; should there be fewer than ten, the administrators reserve the right to add additional names that are, in their view, worthy nominees.
4. Only people resident in the UK are eligible for the final poll.
5. The administrator of Toppy.org.uk (Nigel Whitfield) is not eligible for the final poll.
The SMS service is operated by Nigel Whitfield, PO Box 7248, London E5 8UL